Feng Liu, Ph.D.
Professor of Pharmacology
Ph.D., Iowa State University
- insulin and adipokine signal transduction and regulation
The major focus of our research effort concerns the mechanisms of obesity-induced metabolic diseases such as type 2 diabetes, which is a serious disease that affects 8.3% of the population in the United States. Currently we are using molecular biology, biochemical, and cell biology approaches as well as tissue-specific transgenic and knockout mouse models to identify and characterize key molecules involved in the regulation of glucose metabolism and energy homeostasis. Particularly we are interested in how obesity leads to adipocyte dysregulation and how adipose tissue dysfunction affects whole body energy homeostasis. It is our hope that better understanding of the mechanisms underlying the crosstalk between adipose tissues and other tissues will generate important information for the development of new therapeutic drugs for the treatment of obesity-associated disorders such as Type 2 diabetes, cancer, and aging.
Juli Bai, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow
Huan Cai, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow
Dongqing Yin, Research Lab Tech-Assoc
Sijia He, IBMS Phys/Pharm Graduate Student
- Ou, X., Liu, M., Luo, H., Dong, LQ. and Liu, F. (2014) Ursolic acid inhibits leucine-stimulated mTORC1 signaling by suppressing mTOR localization to lysosome. PloS One Apr;9(4)
- Ryu, J., Galan, AK., Xin, X., Dong, F., Abdul-Ghani, MA., Zhou, L., Wang, C., Li, C., Holmes, BM., Sloane, LB., Austad, SN., Guo, S., Musi, N., DeFronzo, RA., Deng, C., White, MF., Liu, F. and Dong, LQ. (2014) APPL1 potentiates insulin sensitivity by facilitating the binding of IRS1/2 to the insulin receptor. Cell Rep 7(4):1227-38
- Fang, Q., Yang, W., Li, H., Hu, W., Chen, L., Jiang, S., Dong, K., Song, Q., Wang, C., Chen, S., Liu, F. and Jia, W. (2014) Negative regulation of disulfide-bond A oxidoreductase-like protein (DsbA-L) gene expression by the transcription factor Sp1. Diabetes Jan
- Luo, Y., He, F., Hu, L., Hai, L., Huang, M., Xu, Z., Zhang, J., Zhou, Z., Liu, F. and Dai, YS. (2014) Transcription factor Ets1 regulates expression of thioredoxin-interacting protein and inhibits insulin secretion in pancreatic β-cells. PLoS One Jan;9(6)
- Liu, M., Bai, J., He, S., Villarreal, R., Hu, D., Zhang, C., Yang, X., Liang, H., Slaga, TJ., Yu, Y., Zhou, Z., Blenis, J., Scherer, PE., Dong, LQ. and Liu, F. (2014) Grb10 promotes lipolysis and thermogenesis by phosphorylation-dependent feedback inhibition of mTORC1. Cell Metab 19(6):967-80